The life of the Middle Ages of Fažana and its surroundings logically continued on the tradition
of the Classical and late Classical periods. Not much is known about this period, especially its very beginning, but it is
clearly evident that Christianity was deeply rooted in the early Middle Ages, which is proved by numerous remains of sacral
During the rule of St. Mark's Republic (1331 - 1797) Fažana was one of the most important centers of the Pula area. In 1741 when Pula had a population of about 700, Fažana had 503 inhabitants.
At the time Fažana got its representative profane structures, whereas its dedication to religious life is revealed in the reconstruction and expansion of the greater part of sacral structures.
The Parish of SS.Cosmas and Damian is situated on the western coast of south Istria, including the towns of Fažana, Valbandon, Peroj and the Brijuni Islands.
It is difficult to determine its formal date of origin, territory it encompassed and initial organizational status. However, considering the intensive additional construction and expansion of religious structures, especially the church complex of SS. Cosmas and Damian, it may be assumed that the Parish was established in the 10th or 11th century, precisely in 1028 when it came into possession of the Bishops of Pula.
It was first mentioned in historical records as a Parish in 1150, during the clashes between Venice and Istrian towns, and mentioned in peace settlements and treaties as one of the parishes on the territory of Pula.