100th anniversary of tourism in Fažana
THE BEGINNINGS OF DEVELOPMENT OF MODERN TOURISM
A ray of hope for the tourist promotion of Fažana came into view with the luxuriant natural scenery and contact with cultural-historic heritage, especially in 1900/1901 when the first signs of environmental awareness appeared, resulting in the extermination of malarial mosquitoes. The person particularly responsible for this was Paul Kupelwieser, the Austrian industrialist and at that time owner of the Brijuni archipelago situated on the west side of the 9-kilometer-long Fažana Channel. Through the tourist valorization of Veliki Brijun, at the beginning of the 20th century this visionary indirectly encouraged travel to Fažana and via Fažana.
At the beginning of the 20th century Fažana had several hotel establishments. Some of the mentioned ones are: Hotel "Belvedere" owned by Giacomo Marincovich, Hotel "De Privileggio" named after its owner Pietro Privileggio and the Hotel "Restoran ai bagni" owned by Giacomo Sfecich. Furthermore, P. Privileggio, G. Sfecich and Giacomo Marincovich were representatives of Fažana in the "Federazione degli esercenti, trattori ed industrie affini di Trieste ed Istria" (Federation of owners of inns and industrial plants in Trieste and Istria) founded in Pula on April 5, 1900.
ARRIVING VIA TRIESTE, VODNJAN AND PULA
Until May 1, 1906, tourists traveling by train from Vienna and other Central European urban centers, wanting to spend their holidays on the Brijuni Islands or Fažana, usually ended their travel in Vodnjan. From there they traveled to Fažana by carriage and then by fishing boats to Brijuni. One of the carriage drivers was Martin Mušković, while tourists were taken across the Fažana Channel to Brijuni by Michele Corva. After the already mentioned date almost everyone traveled to Pula (fast train, sleeping car) where Paul Kupelwieser's boats were waiting.
In 1900 there was an omnibus between Pula and Fažana transporting people and mail. The price of a one-way ticket was 60 hellers, whereas the return ticket cost 1 korona. As a result of increased tourist activities Fažana and Brijuni became regular ports of call for steamships and sailing boats. Between 1905 and 1912 the number of these ships increased from 796 to 1034 (index 130) in Fažana, and from 68 to 2594 or more than 38 times on Brijuni.
In 1853 Fažana was one of the ports of call of the steamship line Trieste – Piran – Umag – Novigrad – Poreč – Rovinj – Fažana – Pula – Rabac – Rijeka. Owing to an increasing number of overnight guests and excursionists, before World War I the Austrian Ministry of Railroads had an idea of introducing an electric tram in the near future between Pula and Vodnjan, with side lines to Valbandon and Fažana. However, such a plan of traffic connections between Pula and the nearby areas has never been realized.